Ask Your Question

How should I address when my sources disagree on something basic?

asked 2018-11-19 23:14:08 -0500

I am currently writing two articles about some 19th-century artists. One artist has a name that sources have a tendency to spell differently, while the other has sources that disagree about her year of birth by a significant margin (1851 to 1867). How should I address this in my article?

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

1 answer

Sort by ยป oldest newest most voted

answered 2018-11-20 07:59:55 -0500

If reliable sources disagree, include both sets of information. If the majority of sources spell someone's name one way, but another source spells it differently, use the more common spelling, but include the other spelling in the article ("also spelled XXXX") and be sure to include the source.

edit flag offensive delete link more


Great, thank you!

Sara carman gravatar imageSara carman ( 2018-11-20 17:07:11 -0500 )edit

Your Answer

Please start posting anonymously - your entry will be published after you log in or create a new account.

Add Answer

[hide preview]

Question Tools

1 follower


Asked: 2018-11-19 23:14:08 -0500

Seen: 152 times

Last updated: Nov 20 '18